Information for those preparing for Baptism
Baptismal Application Form (PDF)
The classes are held every other month in the school’s music room at 7:00 pm.
Who should attend the class? Parents and godparents must attend a baptism class.
Where should the Baptism take place? The most appropriate place to baptize a child is in the parish where the parents attend Mass.
Our infant baptisms are scheduled on the First Sunday of the month immediately following the 10:00 am Mass.
The following items are required for baptism:
- The parents of the child must be members of St. Rocco Church and active members (attending Mass each Sunday).
- The Baptismal Application must be completed.
- A copy of the birth certificate of the child to be baptized is required by the Church before the baptism. This should be brought or mailed to St. Rocco’s with the completed application.
- Copies of a certificate or a letter as proof that both parents and the godparents attended the baptism class.
- We would need sponsor forms from each of the godparents stating that they are in good standing with the Catholic Church and are active members.
- All necessary paperwork must be in our office before a date can be given for the Baptism.
Choosing a Godparent for your child
These are the qualities needed for someone to serve as a sponsor:
- Is a baptized Catholic who has received the Eucharist and has been Confirmed.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Is a practicing Catholic who participates in the Eucharist celebration on Sundays.
- Gives good example of living their Catholic faith.
- Willing to encourage the child to develop and grow in the Catholic faith.
- If there are two sponsors, one must be male and the other female.
- The two godparents do not necessarily have to be of the same marriage.
- If married, marriage must be recognized by the Church.
- A Baptized non-Catholic may not be a sponsor but may serve as witness alongside a Catholic sponsor. Together they carry out the role of godparents in the baptism. Non-baptized persons may not serve in the role of sponsors or witnesses.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact us at the Rectory at (401)-942-5203.